Thursday, August 7, 2014

GOVERNOR'S MONTHLY LETTER

When do we matter as Rotarians?

My Dear Fellow Rotarians,

Let me take this opportunity to express my thank you and appreciation to those who joined me during our Hand Over last July 5, 2014. To those who did not make it, I know you were with us in thoughts and prayers.

Membership growth in Rotary has been an issue that has puzzled me for quite some time now. Every time I am asked to speak in Induction Ceremonies, I always encourage my Best Class Presidents to confront the issue by asking tough questions especially about Membership. Why is it that with the so many good service projects rendered by the 53 clubs in our District; with the many lives that we have touched and changed, membership growth continues to be a challenge to many clubs? My answers to this challenge center on continuity and telling our Rotary stories. I am a firm believer that for clubs to grow, they have to undertake a strategic planning exercise and extend their planning horizon to at least three years instead of planning on a Rotary year to Rotary year basis. By so doing, the clubs will be able to craft their vision (align with the District Vision) and develop high impact projects that are sustainable and life changing; since continuity between the past, present and future club leaders is ensured.

Concretize this by telling our Rotary Stories, then we have a greater chance of increasing public awareness about the good things that Rotary is doing; about how we light up our communities through our Literacy, Health & Disaster response humanitarian projects. The goal is to inspire people to join Rotary not because of friendship alone but because they believe in our cause and in what we do.

I thought that by answering the continuity and Rotary Stories issues, we can address our membership challenge. But as I go around and talk to many Rotarians, I realize that there is a third question to be asked and answered….When do we matter as Rotarians or when does our membership to Rotary count and carry weight? And as I kept on thinking, I also realize that the answer to this question is something very personal to each and every Rotarian.

As a Rotarian, I matter because………is a sentence that I hope all of us Rotarians will try to fill in. Only when we find the answer to this personal question can we go out as Rotarians and inspire others to be like us. Let me share with you an inspiring wisdom that I read somewhere about looking for friends. It is said that when you go out to look for friends, you can hardly find one…but if you go out and be a friend, then many will be your friends. The same thing is true with inviting friends to be Rotarians. I am of the personal belief that if we first matter as Rotarians, we will find many friends who would also like to be Rotarians.

Let me likewise take this opportunity to remind all clubs of some best practices to increase Membership and Retention:
  1. Conduct a “Balik Rotary” Fellowship targeting quality former Rotarians;
  2. Conduct classification survey and analysis to identify classification gap within the club for a focused membership search;
  3. Never fail to conduct a proper and professional New Member Orientation to new Members;
  4. Involve the family of new Members in the induction ceremony;
  5. Increase female club members;
  6. Have a fun and enjoyable weekly meeting;
  7. And, among others, do not forget to ASK (by DGE Oliver Ong).
My fellow Rotarians, let us have a great time serving humanity and let us matter as Rotarians. Cheers!

Yours in Rotary Service,

Joe Jay “Jude” Doctora
District Governor, 2014-15

No comments:

Post a Comment