Tuesday, July 28, 2009

R.I. PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE














"It is our daily actions, and our daily decisions,

that determine the course of Rotary for us all.
The Future of Rotary Is in Your Hands."


I'm honored to be representing you for the next 12 months. You are the future of Rotary and a hope for a better world. Truly, as my theme says, The Future of Rotary Is in Your Hands. I'm looking forward to seeing many projects and meeting many Rotarians as I make my visits during my presidential year.

Rotary was founded on a clear idea that if people of good character, intelligence, and morals joined together, they could achieve a great deal more than they could alone. I have seen this every time I visit a Rotary club or an amazing project.

Even as president-elect, Rotarians welcomed me into their clubs and shared with me the work they were doing to make the world a better place. As an example, I was moved when I was in Pune, India, when a girl who is visually impaired read me her Interact club's charter in Braille -- the first, I believe, ever presented to an Interact club. Also in India, I admired the work of Rotarians in helping to eradicate polio during a National Immunization Day.

And, as did thousands of Rotarians, I especially enjoyed going to the RI Convention in June in Birmingham, England. I met so many enthusiastic and dedicated Rotarians, Rotaractors , Rotary World Peace Fellows , and other members from the family of Rotary. I was impressed by the range of projects in the House of Friendship as well as the wide variety of breakout sessions, which covered topics from fundraising ideas to membership retention. And with speakers such as Mia Farrow and Jane Goodall, the plenary sessions were not to be missed. If you were not able to attend the 2009 convention, see the coverage of it at www.rotary.org . Also, consider registering for the next convention in Montréal, Québec, Canada, when we will celebrate 100 years of Rotary in that country.

At a Rotary convention, you experience Rotary's strength. By meeting people from clubs around the world, you'll see how our clubs work together. Yes, they work through their own districts, in cooperation with other clubs and districts, and with the support of our Rotary Foundation, but at the end of the day, everything that we accomplish is done through the strength of our clubs.

As I visit Rotary clubs worldwide, read my upcoming travelogues to learn about some of the Rotarians and projects I'll have the honor to visit as your RI president. Also, browse through my president's pages to read my biography, sign my guest book, learn about my resource groups and committees, and read messages from me.

Resource: www.rotary.org

No comments:

Post a Comment